Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Morozhenoe, parts ii and iii

On each of the little ice cream vending carts there is the following model:



No way is that representative of what's inside the cart, right? Wrong. That is EXACTLY what's in the freezer. I knew from the moment I saw this, I had to have green. (What I actually said to myself was: Man, I have to try that zelyonoe. Some progress is better than none.)



The other day I did in fact try the green, which is far lighter in color than the model (disappointing) and pistachka (imagine my delight). I would say this rivaled the initial vanilla for robustness of flavor and creaminess. Although the pistachio was just as sweet, it tasted more like pistachio and less like plastic.


Today it was 63 degrees, which is not too cold for ice cream, and I was long overdue to try the red cone above. But the ice cream lady (who joked with me about global warming -- joked! nothing warms my heart like a Russian who thinks I understand enough of her language to do this) steered me away from the red cone to the "most tasty" treat, a white block on a stick. Gamely, foolishly, I went for it.



As you can see, I'm thinking, I don't know about this. That uncertainty persisted for approximately the first third of the ice cream bar because at first, it tasted sort of like the vanilla, sweet and fake. But underneath that was a flavor I couldn't place but which is probably akin to wet cement. Maybe I was prejudiced by how it looked. At any rate, that flavor eclipsed everything else. It was a cruel trick; this was not samoe vkusnoe at all -- it was samoe gross.




Thankfully, when I was two thirds of the way through the bar, it fell off the stick. I threw it away, left only with the knowledge that I had made the wrong choice.





A sad day for morozhenoe.

1 comment:

  1. Argh, i'm so terrible at this technology. Ok, let's try this again.

    so first i attempted to google this mysterious ice cream bar. i never came across this in my journeys! but the search produced nothing except old articles referring to the whole using Obama to sell ice cream (bad form Russians, bad form).

    but i didn't want to end this by offering no new knowledge, so apparently "yuck!" in Russian is (фу), гадость! At least, that's what Multitran aka the ultimate authority said to tell the ice cream lady the next time she tries to press one of those bars on you.

    ReplyDelete